Last Updated on June 12, 2022
Vegetarian Sauteed Dandelion Recipe
Vegetarians Rejoice! “Slee’ M’alla” is the Lebanese name for Sauteed Dandelion, an extremely easy to make vegetarian dish (that is also economical). The main ingredients are dandelion leafs, onions and lemon juice. Mom never buys dandelion from grocery stores in Lebanon, instead she picks the leafs from wild dandelion that grows in our garden.
Benefits of Sleek M’alla (Sauteed Dandelion)
According to Organic Facts, dandelion is rich in vitamin-A, C, iron and calcium and detoxifiers which explains its use in medicines. Some of its benefits include maintaining bone health, skin care and weight loss. And this stuff tastes great, so here we go…
Benefits Of Dandelion
- Fight against inflammation
- May aid in blood sugar management
- May lower blood pressure
How do you cook dandelions to eat?
The process of cooking dandelions is mentioned in detail in the recipe section.
What part of the dandelion is poisonous?
leaves of the dandelions are poisonous if it is taken in large qauantity.
Vegan Lebanese Dandelion Sautee Recipe – Sleek M’alla
- 2 cups dandelions green, chopped
- 4 onions
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Rinse the dandelion well (to help wash away bitterness) and cut them into pieces of about 2.5 to 3 inches long.
- Add the dandelion to a boiling pot of water, and let boil for 35 minutes on low to medium heat. The way to tell if it’s cooked is if the stem can be easily smashed with your fingers. Alternatively you can also steam the dandelion; this tends to keep more nutrients in it however it may yield a slight bitter taste.
- Once cooked, rinse the dandelion with cold water, then press them with your hands well to get rid of as much water as possible. Spread them on a cutting board, sprinkle salt and mix well.
- Meanwhile, cut onions into long pieces and sauté in 1/4 cup of hot olive oil for 10-15 minutes or until they turn light brown. Add cooked dandelion to frying pan, mix well, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour dandelions into serving bowl, drizzle with 1/3 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice or to taste, and serve cold or warm with Lebanese pita bread and enjoy.