Last Updated on June 10, 2022
Lebanese Beef and Kidney Bean Stew
Winter is knocking on the door, and it’s time for some nice Lebanese-style stew like Lebanese Beef and Kidney Bean Stew. Fasolia (Phaseolus vulgaris) is the typical name given to different varieties of red haricot or kidney beans in Lebanon. And apparently, in other countries in the Middle East such as Egypt and Turkey (Fasulye), Fasolia can refer to green beans as well.
Fasolia w Riz Recipe
In its basic form, the dish “Fasolia w Riz” which stands for Fasolia beans and rice is a simple yet succulent beef stew made with red kidney beans, beef, tomato paste and subtle Middle Eastern spices. It is served as a soup with a side of rice with vermicelli. Fasolia can also be made with goat meat, or with chunks of meat with the bones left on.
There is a vegan version of the Fasolia stew, called Fasolia bi zeit (beans with olive oil). Check it out: Vegetarian Fasolia Beans Stew.
Lebanese Fasolia Recipe - Beef and Kidney Bean Stew With Rice
Fasolia Beef Stew Ingredients
- 1 lb beef stew meat, cut into cubes
- 2 cups red beans haricot
- 6 teaspoons tomato paste
- 10 cloves garlic
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Lebanese 7 spices
- 1/3 teaspoon black pepper
- 1.5 teaspoon cinnamon ground
- 4 cinnamon sticks optional
- 1 teaspoon cilantro leaves dried or green
- 3 cups rice
- 1/4 cup vermicelli
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Cooking the Fasolia Beans
- Soak the beans in water for 6 hours or overnight to help soften them.
- When ready to cook, rinse the beans then add to a cooking pot with 6-7 cups of fresh water on high heat.
- Once boiling, Lower heat to simmer and cook for 40-60 minutes or until the beans soften and are easy to smash.
Sautee the Beef
- As the beans are about to finish their simmer, in a separate deep cooking pot, add 1 finely chopped onion and lightly fry it with 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil on medium heat while stirring.
- Cut meat into small cubes (1 inch) and add to the pot along with the 7-spices, black pepper, cinnamon, salt and stir well for a few minutes until the meat turns light brown.
- Add the minced garlic and cilantro leaves, and sauté for a couple of minutes more.
- Add 3 cups of warm water to the meat pot, stir well and bring to a boil.
Combining the Stew
- Pour the cooked beans with their water on top of the meat pot.
- Add the tomato paste, stir well, and let simmer on low heat for another 20 minutes while stirring occasionally. The stew is now ready.
Making the Vermicelli Rice
- Chop the vermicelli into 1 inch pieces then lightly fry them with a bit of butter.
- Add the vermicelli in a pot with 3 cups of rice, 6 cups of water, and a dash of salt.
- Heat the rice on medium heat until it reaches a boil, at which point lower the heat , cover the pot and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve the beef bean stew hot in a deep plate with a side of vermicelli rice.
- You can alternatively use beef cuts with bones and fat for a more hearty and healthy stew.
- Goat or lamb meat also tastes great with this recipe.