Last Updated on March 2, 2022
Maacaron bi Toum: Lemon Garlic Noodles
I’ve been to many “garlic lovers” restaurants including the “Stinking Rose” in San Francisco. I savored many ethnic garlicky dishes at friends’ homes. However, so far I’ve never come across any dish with a richer and more intense garlic flavor than this Homemade Lemon Garlic noodles, called Maacaron Bi Toum (or Maacroun bi Toum). The name simply translates to noodles in garlic.
This is a traditional “villager” dish from the mountains of Lebanon that city dwellers tend to shy away from. I tell you though to heck with shyness, bring on the garlic man!!
Maacaron bi Toum - Lebanese Homemade Lemon Garlic Noodles Recipe
- 1 lb flour general purpose
- 1/4 teaspoon yeast
- 2-3 teaspoons salt
- 2 potatoes peeled, cut into small cubes
- 15 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/2 cup lemon juice freshly squeezed, not bottled
- 1/2 cup olive oil
Dough Preparation and Cooking Method
- In a small cup, melt the yeast with warm water.
- Mix the flour, yeast, with 1 teaspoon of salt and 200 ml of water (around 1 cup) and knead by hand for 5 minutes or until you get a smooth dough. Let the dough rest for 20-30 minutes depending on your room temperature.
- Sprinkle some flour on your working area and start forming the dough into a “snake” , that is 1/2 to 2/3 of an inch in diameter.
- Cut the “snake” of dough into 2-inch long pieces.
- Place your index finger on each cut dough piece, and roll inwards towards yourself while punching a wedge inside the dough (as in the video). The point here is to create a wedge inside the dough so that it cooks through well.
Garlic Sauce Preparation Method
- In a food processor blend the garlic with 2/3 teaspoon of salt, and while the blender is running, slowly alternate between adding the lemon juice and olive oil until you have a nice paste.
Cooking the Maacaron bi Toum
- In a cooking pot, heat up a few cups of water with 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of olive oil until it reaches a boil.
- Lower heat, add the cubed potatoes, then add the noodles one handful at a time depending on the size of your pot. The boiling time should be 20-25 minutes.
Serving Maacaron bi Toum
- Once the noodles are cooked, strain from water then mix immediately and while hot with the garlic sauce.
- Server alongside Fattoush or other savory salads.